Saturday, July 17, 2010

Do Not Cast Away Your Confidence

"Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise."
(Hebrews 10:35,36)

Do we think of confidence as being something tangible - something we can hold onto? Apparently, according to Paul, we need to consider it in this way.

Paul tells us to "not CAST AWAY your confidence." Why? Because holding onto confidence has a great reward - the promise of God.

When I think of the concept of "casting away", I wonder if we should consider 'confidence' to be similar to a garment like righteousness or praise, a garment we CHOOSE to put on? Before we can cast confidence away, it needs to be part of our person.

We are also taught to "put on the Lord Jesus Christ." (Romans 13:14)

So, wait a minute. Does this mean that when we CHOOSE Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord - when we CHOOSE to submit to His authority - when we CHOOSE to increase the depth of our relationship with Him...when we make these choices, then confidence is like the lining of a jacket? Yes, I think so. It becomes part of the infrastructure of our faith.

Hmmm...I like that.

Isaiah 30:15 reads, "...In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." And that is where you will find your endurance for the days ahead.

Jesus = confidence = strength = endurance.

Amen.

Lord, I find myself singing, "I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord; No tender voice like Thine can peace afford. I need Thee, O I need Thee; Every hour I need Thee! O bless me now, my Savior, I come to Thee." I come to You, Lord. It is in the quiet moments of fellowship with You that I find my peace, my confidence and, in turn, the endurance I need for whatever assails me. You are the victor, Lord. I need only to hide myself in You.

No comments :

Post a Comment