Thursday, July 22, 2010

He Speaks Out of the Whirlwind

"Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said: 'Who is this who darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell ME, if you have understanding. Or who laid its (the earth's) cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Or who shut in the sea with doors? Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place? Can you lift up your voice to the clouds, that an abundance of water may cover you? Can you send out lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, 'Here we are!'?"
(Job 38:1,2,4,7,8,12)


Ouch! Now that was a reprimand!

The subtitle to this passage is, "The Lord Reveals His Omnipotence to Job". Do ya think?!

If you remember, Job's world was tumbling out of control. God allowed Satan to sift Job because He knows Job's heart. God knows that Job's righteousness will prevail, that his faithfulness to Almighty God will not waiver. Throughout the book of Job, a great debate occurs between Job and his 'friends'.

Beginning in Chapter 38, God responds.
And He responds in a GRAND way!

I find it interesting that this chapter begins with, "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind..."

"...out of the whirlwind..."

I feel quite certain that this is referring to the pillar of cloud that God contained His Presence in quite often as He led His chosen people through the wilderness. But, my first impression was that of a swirling wind of confusion and frustration.

When things get difficult, doesn't it feel like the confusion is swirling about you, mocking you, daring you to trust in the Living God? Every time I find myself in a place of desperation, I can sense the swirling whirlwind of confusion. I venture to say that Job experienced the same sensations.

My friends, God is NOT a God of confusion. He is the God of peace.

What was God's answer to Job's confusion and frustration? He reminded Job of Who He is! He reminded Job that He is Omnipotent - all-knowing - that He is Sovereign and that He is Creator of the universe. God reminded Job that nothing is too difficult for Him.

And He is reminding us of the same. Let Him speak to you out of your confusion and frustration. Take comfort in knowing that HE IS GOD - the Great I AM!!

Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up.

Father God, How awesome You are! We cannot fathom Your greatness. We cannot fathom the works of Your hands, the depth of Your heart. I take comfort in knowing that my daily struggles are nothing compared to the majesty and power of my God. In light of Who You are, Lord, I can truly say, "Nothing is impossible for You." I am so thankful to be Your child, to have my name written in the palm of Your hand. Eternity. Help me to put life into the perspective of eternity - not the trivialities of daily living. Open my eyes, Lord, that I might see.

2 comments :