Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Law of the Lord is Perfect

"The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting (restoring) the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb."
(Psalm 19:7-10)


When I was in college (a l-o-n-g time ago) I learned this scripture which had been put to a melody. I loved the words. I loved the way my spirit felt grounded when we sang these words.

Grounded. Set on a firm foundation.

I speak a lot about God's steadfast love - His mercy and His grace. These elements best describe the relationship I have with my Father. I have learned of this Love during extremely difficult and painful days in my life.

But. I could not speak of His love with such conviction if I did not have a foundational understanding of His Law, His testimony, His statutes, commandments and judgments.

In the midst of His great Love, there reigns a Just God. The blood of Jesus provides us with grace and forgiveness, but the Holiness of God requires righteousness. God will not be mocked. We are to take our faith - our testimony - very seriously.

"The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring..." I am not afraid of my Heavenly Father - I love Him with my whole heart - but, I do revere Him. I respect Him. I recognize and submit to His ultimate authority in my life.

The longer I walk with Him, the more I love Him.
The longer I walk with Him, the more I understand His majesty and Holiness.
The longer I walk with Him, the more I desire to stand before Him with clean hands and a pure heart.

Father, You are the Lord, my God. I am so thankful for You. I pray that I would never simplify You or compromise Your Word just so I could feel better about myself. I pray that I would never put You into a box of my own design, but, that I would always recognize Your Truth and that You alone are God. Thank You for Your Laws and statutes and commandments. May we never forget that You are a Just God. Because of Jesus, our covenant with You is established in grace, but grace does not negate Your Laws. Jesus fulfills Your Laws. You are Holy, Lord and Your Laws are sweeter than honey on the honeycom
b.

No comments :

Post a Comment