Friday, April 2, 2010

Lord, Remember Me

"And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left...Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, 'If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.' But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, 'Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the dire reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.' Then he said to Jesus, 'Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.'" (Luke 23:33,39-42)

Certainly, the criminal that recognized Jesus as the Son of God spoke of eternity when He asked Jesus to remember him. But, I want you to think a little farther. Think of this word as 're-member': "Put me back together, Lord. Re-member me. I need Your restoration. I need Your renewal. I need Your forgiveness which heals a broken soul."

On the cross, Jesus bore our sins - those things that separate us from God. When we are separated from Him, our lives are not complete. There are places of emptiness, places of destruction and pain. Places that only a loving God can heal.

Jesus' death on the cross - His sacrifice - unites us with God. Jesus bridges the gap. When we live in the presence of God, through the blood of Jesus, our lives are put back together. His power, His love and His mercy re-members us.

Take time today to think about the cross, to think about how God loves you so much that He offered His only Son as a sacrifice so that we would no longer be separated from Him. Because of the cross, brokenness is an option. The Lord desires to re-member you, but, it's up to you. Kneel at the cross. He will meet you there.

Lord, the cry of my heart is that You will re-member me. Seek out the areas of my heart that need Your power and Your grace. Restore me, Lord. Without You, Lord, my life is in pieces.

No comments :

Post a Comment